Discover Chinatown This Summer
The summer has arrived which means it’s time to start exploring, and why not start in London’s very own Chinatown. From funky bubble tea vendors and hidden speakeasies to trending beauty shops and dim sum parlours, Chinatown London is the West End’s very own haven of exciting East and Southeast Asian (ESEA) culture and cuisine, bustling from morning to night.
Where to start you ask? To make things a little easier, we’ve put together a bucket list so you can start making your way through.
Keep an eye out on our social media channels as we’ll be sharing inspiration, bucket list activities and secret surprises so you can continue to discover Chinatown this summer.
Chinatown London Bucket List: it’s time to start ticking
1) Dine Alfresco in Chinatown:
When lunchtime calls, many of the restaurants in Chinatown have tables on the streets, or you can perch on the benches in Newport Place. As you dine al fresco, take a moment to look up and snap the two striking gigantic Chinese lanterns that have recently been unveiled on Gerrard Street for the summer season.
2) Visit the Much Loved Chinese Bakeries:
Take a morning stroll beneath the sea of red lanterns and follow the wafting scent of freshly baked goods floating out of Golden Gate Cakeshop and Chinatown Bakery. Pick up a grab-and-go breakfast from one of Chinatown’s much-loved Cantonese bakeries. Here you’ll find an almost limitless selection of sweet and savoury bakes, from creamy custard pastries and signature barbecue pork buns to fluffy pandan chiffon cakes.
3) Enjoy BBQ Season in Chinatown:
Malaysian hotspot Rasa Sayang has a cracking BBQ menu with skewered tiger prawns, classic chicken satay and spicy sambal skate.
London’s modern izakaya Yatay specialises in Robatayaki. Hot charcoals on a flat, wide and open fireplace gives these Japanese-inspired skewers that unmistakable flavour from the flames.
Olle BBQ serves some of the finest Korean barbecue around – even members of BTS and SHINee have eaten here before!
- Try the explosive and delicious Lava Custard Buns from Bun House.
- Taste Jinli’s Chinese cold dishes (liangcai (凉菜)), featuring the likes of shredded chicken in chilli oil and marinated smashed cucumber.
- Watch a movie at the Prince Charles Cinema on Leicester Place – the last independent in the West End which boasts a wonderful programme of cult classics and recent releases.
- Visit the legendary 3D Nails studio now located on Macclesfield Street. Nail Technician Fiza is regularly visited by celebrities – the last of which included Neil Patrick Harris and Chris Brown.
- Visit Oseyo, a Korean goods emporium that retails trending TikTok treats such as Little Moons and Watermelon Ade.
That’s enough to get you going, but we’re only getting started! Stay tuned for further inspiration and look out for our SECRET SURPRISE SERIES…
Follow us on TikTok + Instagram at @chinatownlondon to make sure you don’t miss out. If you tick off any activities, share your photos with us using the hashtag #ChinatownBucketList< Go Back To Get inspired